Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Making it Happen :)

      Ever since visiting Mexico a year ago, I’ve had the itch to go back to Latin America, this time, with a purpose. I looked into studying abroad, and everything related. Financial restrictions did not allow for study abroad. Thus, I was left with other ways to make my adventure happen. I looked into the Peace Corps, and other opportunities available to students for the summer, or even after I graduate from the University of Texas.
One day, I was at a favorite study spot on the lake with my best friend, studying Spanish. He said that the only way I will become fluent is to immerse myself, and live somewhere with the language. Well, with all my restrictions, how is that going to happen? A man that was also on the patio chimed in, and told me about how he lived in Spain. Then a woman named Emlyn then also chimed in talking to me about Cultural Embrace, and how there are many options for me to make my dream happen. I met up with her later and viola, now I am a marketing intern here at Cultural Embrace, in which my work will be returned with a trip to Antigua, Guatemala, where I will help the community, reach fluency in Spanish, and provide in depth blogs and videos for Cultural Embrace to use in the future. Internship, and my Latin American experience? Talk about killing two birds. Some things just work out, and I’m starting to believe I’m meant to do this! If my friend had not said anything, and that random guy never chimed in, then where would I be! So, I am on my road to Antigua.

As of now, I’m planning the dates, working hard at my Spanish skills, and already thinking about what to pack! June can’t come soon enough sometimes. Summer in Austin is one of my favorite things in the world, but this experience is going to be the highlight of my college years. I’m just bouncing with excitement thinking about it.
However, my nerves are definitely on end. Travelling alone can seem extremely risky to me sometimes, but it’s nothing I haven’t done before! My parents are supportive, nervous wrecks, but supportive! They are going to buy their tickets to visit when I have dates set.

So, where to go from here? I guess I should start doing my research about Antigua, and find more about  my living arrangements.

Right now the internship with Cultural Embrace in Austin has taught me soooo much. Way more than classes have, but everything I learned about marketing, advertising, and communication has been very useful. I work on various marketing projects, as well as social media and online communications. I even got to use my fitness expertise also!! :D 
I enjoy the things I do here, and am really grateful for this experience, as it has been one most valuable.

I love to write and hope to have fun with this blog, expect a lot of pictures...and some rambling here and there :)

Hasta Luego,
Haley


No comments:

Post a Comment